The DC animated universe has provided us with great stories and characters over the years. For those of you who have seen Teen Titans: The Judas Contract (the spiritual sequel to 2016’s Justice League vs Teen Titans), we spoke with voice talent Kari Wahlgren, who voices the iconic character Starfire.
Official Film Synopsis
Led by Starfire, the Teen Titans – Beast Boy, Raven, Blue Beetle, Robin and the just-returned Nightwing – have built a cohesive team in their never-ending battle against evil; but their newest teammate, the mysterious and powerful Terra, may be altering that dynamic. Meanwhile, an ancient evil, Brother Blood, has awakened, and familiar foe Deathstroke is lurking in the shadows – both waiting to pounce. Ultimately, the Teen Titans will need to battle their enemies and their own doubts to unite and overcome the malicious forces around them in this twisting tale of intrigue, adventure and deception.
Kari Wahlgren has done a brilliant job portraying Starfire, it was an absolute pleasure talking about her role and the film.
1. DC Comics News: Ms Wahlgren, thanks for speaking with DC Comics News. Let’s kick off with providing our fans with how you attained the opportunity to voice Starfire.
Kari Wahlgren: The director actually thought of me for the role, which was a huge compliment…so they sent me a specific audition request and I ended up getting the part!
2. DCN: Starfire is a main character in the upcoming DC animated film, Teen Titans: The Judas Contract. Can you set the scene as to where the story is leading into this new film?
KW: In the new film, Nightwing has gone off on his own, and Starfire is the new leader of the Teen Titans. She’s trying to guide and train a new, young group of Titans. Nightwing comes back, and he and Starfire find themselves struggling to define leadership roles within the team as well as navigate their romantic relationship. And the appearance of Brother Blood and Deathstroke drive the stakes even higher!
3. DCN: Starfire is an iconic DC character, can you tell us how you went about building out your own persona? Did you use any specific material or sources?
KW: We worked hard to capture an ethereal, alien quality in Starfire…while also showing that’s she’s been on Earth for a while and is getting more comfortable with her role as a superhero and leader.
4. DCN: What’s your process (if any), that you go through prior to stepping into the recording studio to bring your characters to life?
KW: I’ll read books or comics if there’s source material available…or watch movies or cartoons to figure out the tone of the project…anything that can help prepare you for the recording sessions.
5. DCN: Starfire in this movie is a leader in her own right. Can you define the type of leader she is and the importance of her role in the Teen Titans?
KW: She’s a firm but caring leader. I think her faith in people is one of her greatest strengths and, in some cases, a weakness. She’s definitely an important figure in the Titans team and in their overall history!
6. DCN: Did you have any creative control in how the character was portrayed?
KW: There was some collaboration in the studio with myself, the director and the producers…but everyone seemed to really be on the same page with how we wanted her character to come across, which was great.
7. DCN: The relationship between Nightwing and Starfire is a nice touch to the overall story. How important is their relationship to the Teen Titans as a team?
KW: I think they have one of the most romantic and interesting relationships in comics. They did a great job with integrating that relationship into the movie. Anytime we get to see the lives of superheroes behind the scenes…their imperfections and struggles to make a life for themselves outside of crime fighting….it’s really exciting!
8. DCN: If you could voice any other character in the DC Universe who would it be and why?
KW: Maybe Power Girl….or I would play Black Canary again in a heartbeat!
9. DCN: Did the cast record as a group or did you all work in your parts seperate? What did that process look like?
KW:We recorded this project individually. That’s where a great director and producer are so important…you rely on them to really guide you and help create chemistry with co-stars who aren’t in the booth with you!
DC Comics News would like to thank Kari Wahlgren and her team for their time and allowing us to share yet another great interview for our fans. If you haven’t seen either of the Teen Titans animated films, make sure you give them a go!