CW has recently announced the renewal of Arrow for a third season. That means more Stephen Amell under the hood and behind the mask for the show attracting a loyal and increasingly engaged viewer base along with consistent TV ratings. According to Comic Book Resources, it has become CW’s most-watched series.
Much of the show’s rise in popularity has come from its inclusion of some of the more familiar names from DC comic books, most notably their mini-origin of The Flash earlier this season. This has in turn led into a spin-off pilot (currently in development) that will include some big names of its own.
Other characters that have been featured in Arrow include:
- Amanda Waller (played by Cynthia Addai-Robinson)
- Black Canary (played by Caity Lotz)
- Bronze Tiger (played by Michael Jai White)
- Brother Blood (played by Kevin Alejandro)
- China White (played Kelly Hu)
- Count Vertigo (played by Seth Gabel)
- Deadshot (played by Michael Rowe)
- Deathstroke (played by Manu Bennett)
- Merlyn (played by John Barrowman)
- Roy Harper (played by Colton Haynes)
- The Huntress (played by Jessica De Gouw)
While fans await the much-anticipated Man of Steel sequel, Arrow provides as good of a gateway as any into the DC cinematic universe for DC comic characters not named Batman or Superman. With the inclusion of The Flash spin-off, Arrow has provided a DC world that can provide a foundation for potential shows and movies to build upon.
Unlike Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD, Arrow has explored the DC universe’s super-heroes and super-villains, as seen in the list above. And to their advantage, they’re giving many fans what they want to see and achieving this on the small screen. All the more reason for Arrow to keep up these standards going into their third season. It also raises the bar for The Flash and the upcoming Man of Steel sequel that’s supposed to feature some heavy hitters of its own. *Cough* Wonder Woman.
Perhaps more surprise appearances will be made in the third season. Who do you think will show up next?