Dawn will arise for the DC Universe after a difficult year, beginning in January 2023
In the aftermath of the devastating events of Dark Crisis and DC Universe: Lazarus Planet, the DC pantheon of heroes will once again find itself at a crossroads. Fittingly, the event christened Dawn of DC will begin with Action Comics #1051 and will feature iconic characters while introducing new heroes over twenty new titles.
Unlike previous relaunches, such as The New 52, the publishing company will instead build on the foundation already established. Fans can also expect the return of Oliver Queen in his first ongoing Green Arrow series since DC Rebirth. There will also be a new volume of Batman: The Brave and The Bold, featuring a rotating creative team to unveil new chapters in the crusades of The Dark Knight, and lastly, the team of Mark Waid and Dan Mora will reunite to bring back the lightning of Billy Batson’s adventures as the champion once more in Shazam! Further, from preview art, apparently, Mora is going with a more classic look for Shazam but still retaining some accouterments of his New 52 costume. Connor Kent will also be returning to head Superboy: Man of Tomorrow and fellow Death of Superman alum John Henry Irons will forge forward in Steelworks.
DC’s New Dawn – What Will It Mean And What Can We Expect?
Publisher and CCO Jim Lee has described the oncoming year as one of renewal and rejuvenation:
After the near-Multiverse-ending events in Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths and DC Universe: Lazarus Planet, the DC Universe will be heading toward the [light. With] brand-new series and story arcs from some of the top creative members in comics, Dawn of DC is one of our most ambitious initiatives ever and is a chance for us to tell bigger and bolder stories across our line.
Below is a list of oncoming titles to be released along with their creative teams:
- Superman #1 (Joshua Williamson and Jamal Campbell) – February
- Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent #1 (Tom Taylor and Clayton Henry) – March
- Unstoppable Doom Patrol (Dennis Culver and Chris Burnham) – March
- Superboy: The Man of Tomorrow (Kenny Porter and Jahnoy Lindsay) – April
- Green Lantern: Hal Jordan (Mariko Tamaki and Artist TBA) – April
- Green Lantern: John Stewart (Philip Kennedy and Artist TBA) – Release Date TBA
- Green Arrow (Joshua Williamson and Sean Izaakse) – April
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold (Tom King, Mitch Gerads, Guillem March, Gabriel Hardman, Dan Mora, Rob Williams, and more TBA) – May
- Cyborg (TBA) – May
- Shazam! (Mark Waid and Dan Mora) – June
- The Penguin (Tom King and Stefano Gaudiano) – June
- Steelworks (TBA)
The format for Action Comics will also change with issue 1051 with three new stories in each installment going forward. The writing team will include Dan Jurgens (The Death of Superman), Philip Kennedy Johnson, and Leah Williams (The Amazing Mary Jane).
More information will be revealed in the coming months.
Official Source – “Dawn of DC” Starts in January 2023 | DC